Two years ago the Lego Americana Roadshow wowed AFOLs, TFOLs and KFOLs from all walks of life. Not familiar with those terms? Basically I just said in LEGO lingo that everyone turned out to see the amazing creations scattered around the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover in 2015.
The Roadshow returns Jan. 28 featuring the same models. If you missed it the first time here’s your chance to take a gander at some incredible LEGO creations including but not limited to the White House, Washington Monument, the Liberty Bell and more.
Here are some tips for making the most of your visit:
- Skip the crowds – Weekends or afternoons are the worst. People will be crowded around the creations. Mornings, during the week, etc are great times to avoid crowds.
- Scavenger hunt – You can pick up a scavenger hunt sheet from the Roadshow employees or they may send you to the LEGO store to get it. In 2015 it was a poster. The hunt is a great way for the kids to learn something while you’re there.
- Pictures are gonna be impossible or frustrating if it’s crowded. You can go upstairs and overlook a number of the models. If you want pics of your kids with them, have them stand closer to you and off center the model. Hopefully no one will walk in the frame.
- The mini-build (scheduled for Feb. 4 & Feb. 5 noon to 4 p.m. this year) was incredibly well organized. You can bag up the pieces and build them later. Kids will build a Statue of Liberty.
- Building area – We skipped this cesspool of germs but if you’re up for it, there are Germ-X stations everywhere, but I’d bring my own just in case.
- Lesson Plans – Homeschool? Check out their lesson plan options here.
- Drive around the Galleria and look for the 18-wheelers parked outside. Your kids will love to see the delivery trucks.
How to get a $5 Lego gift card:
Check your email and be one of the first 250 visitors to present your RSVP confirmation email during the roadshow and you’ll receive a $5 LEGO store gift card.
The final day to see the creations is Feb. 12 – same week as LEGO Batman hits theaters.